Call for applications for the 2010/2011 academic year
The project offers international students the possibility to receive a scholarship and other benefits to graduate from the Politecnico di Torino attending the Bachelor of Science program in Computer engineering (Ingegneria Informatica) at the Verrès campus.
The initiative is promoted by the Politecnico di Torino and supported by Regione Valle d'Aosta.
General information on the Bachelor of Science program in Computer Engineering
Language in which the courses are held: Italian
Length: 3 years
The activities begin in October 2010.
For more information on the university campus and on teaching methods, please visit the Verrès campus website.
The Verrès Campus is a Struttura Decentrata di Supporto agli Studenti (SDSS); for further information, please visit the SDSS webpage.
- Being not an Italian citizen, or being an Italian citizen who is also in possess of another citizenship
- Being at least 18 years old
- Being enrolled in the Bachelor program in Computer Engineering (corso di Laurea in Ingegneria Informatica) of the Politecnico di Torino for the 2010/2011 academic year
- Knowledge of the Italian language, preferably demonstrated by an international certification
- Not having enrolled at the Politecnico di Torino before the 2010/2011 academic year
- Not being the recipient of other scholarships, Italian or foreign.
Obtaining a degree at the Politecnico di Torino
To graduate at the Politecnico di Torino, students must attain a total of 180 credits, including exams and the final dissertation. The time required to graduate is approximately 6 semesters. However, the effective duration is also dependent upon each student’s capacity.
Please note that scholarship recipients must attend their program for its entire length (3 years – 180 credits). Attendance to the classes at the Verrès Campus is mandatory. Students who have already attended other university courses can ask for a credit transfer up to a maximum of 10 credits per year (30 credits in total). Please note that credits achieved in preparatory courses or in the first year/second year in systems where preuniversity education lasts 10/11 years can not be taken into account.
Applicants will be selected based on their previous academic career and on their Curriculum Vitae.
Amount of the scholarship
- The gross amount of the Verrès Campus scholarship is 10.000 Euro per year (30.000 Euro for the complete period). The exact net sum is dependent upon the individual tax conditions of each student, which can be verified only upon the arrival of the student.
- The amount of the scholarship will not be increased in case the student will need more time to graduate than indicated.
- The allocation of the scholarship is dependent upon the submission of the original documentation, which must correspond with the documentation attached to the application form (see the “Selection outcomes” section below).
- Payment of the scholarship occurs periodically. The first instalment is dependent upon the possession of the relevant documentation (residence permit, Italian fiscal code, and bank account in the name of the scholarship recipient), all obtainable upon arrival in Italy.
Requirements to maintain the scholarship
- Given that it is not possible to combine the benefits received from more than one scholarship, students who are assigned another study grant while receiving the Verrès Campus scholarship must promptly notify the Politecnico di Torino.
- Payment of the scholarship will be suspended if the academic performance of the recipient does not meet a satisfactory level.
- In case the recipient does not regularly attend classes at the Verrès Campus, the scholarship will be revoked
How to apply
To apply, students must, under the penalty of being excluded from the selection process, complete the application form (81.54 kB):
- Deadline: 11:30 (Italian time) on November 2nd, 2010.
Method: fill in the application form, print it out and submit it, together with the requested documents, to the Reception of the Department of International Affairs of the Politecnico di Torino (Monday - Friday 9:00 - 12:30, 14:00 - 16:30). The application form and the documents must be submitted in a folder bearing the applicant's name and "Verrès Campus project". After having completed these steps, the application for a scholarship will be considered complete.
The following documentation must be attached to the application form:
- Certificate of enrollment at the Politecnico di Torino
- Secondary School Diploma
- For students from the countries where it is required, a certificate showing that the state-level university admission exam (e.g. Gao Kao in China) has been passed
- For students who have attended university studies: an official transcript, issued by the university of origin, including the total number of exams sustained in the program of study, the total number of credits obtained in the program of study (if available), the year of enrolment, the list of the exams already taken with the score of each exam and, where applicable, the number of credits earned with each exam. If the transcript provided by the students' registrar does not contain ALL of the above information, an additional document will have to be sent that provides it. This additional document must be signed by an authority of the university of origin (Tutor of the degree course, Dean, etc).
- Curriculum Vitae, dated and signed (in Italian if possible) - maximum 3 pages
- A personal introduction letter (written by the applicant)
- Optional Italian or French language certificate
The above documents must be rendered in English, Italian, French, Spanish, or Portuguese.
We emphasize that the data shown in the documents must coincide with those inserted in the application form. Moreover, failure to attach even one of the above documents will result in exclusion from the selection process.
Following the closure of the application form, a special commission will meet to assess the applications.
At the end of the selection process, a provisional list of standings will be composed with the names of the students who have been awarded a scholarship and the names of the eligible applicants that may be awarded a scholarship in the event of one or more renunciations.
The list of standings will be affixed to the Official Register of the Politecnico di Torino and published on this project website and on the Apply@Polito section of the Politecnico website.
Publication of the final list of standings is foreseen for November 2010.
PLEASE NOTE THAT THE AFFIXING OF THE LIST OF STANDINGS TO THE OFFICIAL REGISTER OF THE POLITECNICO DI TORINO WILL BE, FOR ALL INTENTS AND PURPOSES, THE ONLY OFFICIAL NOTIFICATION OF INCLUSION IN THE LIST OF SELECTIONS AND, FOR STUDENTS WITH THE APPROPRIATE QUALIFICATIONS, THE ONLY OFFICIAL COMMUNICATION THAT THEY HAVE BEEN AWARDED A SCHOLARSHIP.
We emphasize that the Politecnico di Torino assumes no responsibility for the applicant's failure to view the list of standings and/or the terms for the acceptance of the scholarships as published online and on the Official Register of the Politecnico.
In all the e-mail messages and the correspondence sent to the Politecnico following the awarding of the scholarship, the recipient must clearly specify "Verrès Campus project".
The amount of tuition fees for the 2010/2011 academic year is 1780 Euro. Students from low-income families can be entitled to a reduction or a waiver of tuition fees. In order to obtain such benefit, students must provide an official declaration about:
- the composition of their family unit
- the revenue generated abroad in 2009
- the property and real estate assets generated abroad at December 31st, 2009
These declarations, issued by the competent authorities of the foreign country where the family's income is generated, must be translated into Italian and certified by the Italian Embassy or Consulate. Please see also: Information for students coming from particularly underdeveloped countries.
Scholarship recipients, together with the Bachelor of Science courses, will benefit from:
- an intensive Italian language course, free of charge
- advice on lodging facilities (for more information visit the Accommodation section)
- additional services offered to the student community (access to the Politecnico libraries and computer laboratories, WI-FI (wireless LAN), etc.); scholarship recipients will also be entitled to all the services offered by the regional university student assistance organisation, Ente regionale per il DIritto allo Studio Universitario ( EDISU Piemonte) at full fee: student canteen service, cultural and recreational activities, sports activities, libraries with lending service, etc. (for more information visit the Campus Facilities section)
- assistance by the Stage and Job Placement Office for internship and employment.
- The scholarship does not include accommodation costs, which are thus totally at the expense of the student.
- The Politecnico di Torino does not guarantee any type of accommodation for Verrès Campus scholarship recipients. For students turning to the private market to rent an apartment, the initial amount requested for the cautionary deposit is equal to about three months rent, plus any fees charged by the real estate agency, if applicable. The approximate amount of the rent for an apartment shared with other students comes to about 250 EURO/month per person, and the rent for a small/medium sized apartment is about 500 EURO/month.
Enrollment at the Politecnico includes insurance coverage for accidents occurring on the university premises.
Medical insurance for emergencies (First Aid), as required by the law for non-EU citizens, is about 100 EURO per year. Upon their arrival in Italy, students must pay this amount to INA Assitalia: this is required for the conversion of the entry visa into a residence permit. For further information on these matters, see the Health insurance section.
- We advise students to go to the Italian Embassy or Consulate to inform themselves on the necessary requirements to obtain an entry visa in Italy.
Specific contacts for Bachelor of Science
International Relations Office