2011/12 edition - II call
II call for applications - 2011/2012 academic year
Master of Science level
The family of the late Mr. Sergio Carestiato would like to honor the memory of their kinsman by offering international students the possibility to receive a scholarship and other benefits to graduate from the Politecnico di Torino attending a Master of Science program in Architecture, Civil Engineering, or Architectural Engineering .
General information on the Master of Science programs
Language in which the courses are held: Italian
Length: 2 years
Applications from candidates enrolled in one of the following Master of Science programs will be accepted:
- ARCHITETTURA COSTRUZIONE CITTA'
- ARCHITETTURA PER IL PATRIMONIO
- ARCHITETTURA PER L'AMBIENTE COSTRUITO
- ARCHITETTURA PER LA SOSTENIBILITA'
- INGEGNERIA CIVILE
- INGEGNERIA EDILE
Application is open to students who:
- are not Italian citizens, or are Italian citizens who are also in possess of another citizenship;
- are already enrolled for the first time in one of the above-mentioned Master of Science programs of the Politecnico di Torino for the 2011/2012 academic year;
- are not recipients of any other scholarships, Italian or foreign;
- are not participating in any Double Degree program with the Politecnico di Torino.
Obtaining a degree at the Politecnico di Torino
To graduate at the Politecnico di Torino, students must attain a total of 120 credits, including exams and the final dissertation. A plan of studies must be outlined under the guidance of the student’s academic tutor to identify, in relation to the student’s previous academic career, the courses additionally required to complete the program of studies for the Master of Science in which the student is enrolled at the Politecnico di Torino. The time required to graduate is approximately two years. However, the effective duration is also dependent upon each student’s capacity. Note also that the time required for the Italian language course is not considered in the estimated duration of the program.
Please note that scholarship recipients must attend their program for its entire length (2 years – 120 credits). Students who have already attended other university courses can ask for a credit transfer up to a maximum of 10 credits per year (20 credits in total). Please note that credits achieved in preparatory courses or in the first year/second year in systems where preuniversity education lasts 10/11 years can not be taken into account.
Applicants will be selected on the basis of their previous academic career and of their Curriculum Vitae.
Amount of the scholarship
- The gross amount of the scholarship is 6.250 Euro per year for the complete period. The exact net sum is dependent upon the individual tax conditions of each student.
- The amount of the scholarship will not be increased in case the student will need more time to graduate than indicated.
- The allocation of the scholarship is dependent upon the submission of the original documentation, which must correspond with the documentation attached to the application form (see the “Selection outcomes” section below).
- Payment of the scholarship occurs periodically. The first instalment is dependent upon the possession of the relevant documentation (enrollment certification, residence permit, Italian fiscal code, and bank account in the name of the scholarship recipient).
Requirements to maintain the scholarship
- Given that it is not possible to combine the benefits received from more than one scholarship, students who are assigned another study grant while receiving the Sergio Carestiato scholarship must promptly notify the Politecnico di Torino.
- Payment of the scholarship will be suspended if the academic performance of the recipient does not meet a satisfactory level.
How to apply
To apply, students must, under the penalty of being excluded from the selection process, complete the application form:
- Deadline: 11.00 a.m. (Italian time) on October 10th, 2011.
Method: fill in the application form (80.03 kB), print it out and submit it, together with the requested documents, to the Department of International Affairs of the Politecnico di Torino. The application form and the documents must be submitted in a folder bearing the applicant's name and "Sergio Carestiato scholarship". After having completed these steps, the application for a scholarship will be considered complete.
The following documentation must be attached in pdf format to the online application form:
- an official transcript issued by the registrar of your university of origin, complete with the name and the mark obtained in all the exams passed in the university career
- certificate of enrollment at the Politecnico di Torino
- Curriculum Vitae, dated and signed - maximum 3 pages
- A personal introduction letter (written by the applicant)
- Optional Italian language certificate
The above documents must be rendered in Italian (preferably), English, French, Spanish, or Portuguese.
We emphasize that the data shown in the documents must coincide with those indicated in the application form. Moreover, failure to attach even one of the above documents will result in exclusion from the selection process.
Following the closure of the application period, a special commission will meet to assess the applications.
At the end of the selection process, a list of standings will be composed with the names of the students who have been awarded a scholarship; the list will be published on this project's website. Publication of the final list of standings is foreseen for October 2011.
An e-mail message will be sent to all scholarship recipients and eligible applicants summarizing the terms for the disbursement of the scholarship. This message will be sent to the address(es) specified by the students themselves in the application form. NEVERTHELESS, THIS MESSAGE DOES NOT CONSTITUTE AN OFFICIAL COMMUNICATION OF THE OUTCOME OF THE SELECTION.
PLEASE NOTE THAT THE AFFIXING OF THE LIST OF STANDINGS TO THE OFFICIAL REGISTER OF THE POLITECNICO DI TORINO WILL BE, FOR ALL INTENTS AND PURPOSES, THE ONLY OFFICIAL NOTIFICATION OF INCLUSION IN THE LIST OF SELECTIONS AND, FOR STUDENTS WITH THE APPROPRIATE QUALIFICATIONS, THE ONLY OFFICIAL COMMUNICATION THAT THEY HAVE BEEN AWARDED A SCHOLARSHIP.
We emphasize that the Politecnico di Torino assumes no responsibility for the applicant's failure to view the list of standings and/or the terms for the acceptance of the scholarships as published online and on the Official Register of the Politecnico.
In all the e-mail messages and the correspondence sent to the Politecnico following the awarding of the scholarship, the recipient must clearly specify "Sergio Carestiato scholarships".
The amount of tuition fees for the 2011/2012 academic year is about 2440 Euro. Students from low-income families can be entitled to a reduction or a waiver of tuition fees. In order to obtain such benefit, students must provide an official declaration about:
- the composition of their family unit
- the revenue generated abroad in 2010
- the property and real estate assets generated abroad at December 31st, 2010
These declarations, issued by the competent authorities of the foreign country where the family's income is generated, must be translated into Italian and certified by the Italian Embassy or Consulate. Please see also: Information for students coming from particularly poor countries.
International Relations Office