TRANS-forming Industrial Legacy. Spatial and Economic Models of re-USE
Interdisciplinary and International Summer School
July 10th-24th, 2019
Toolbox Coworking, Torino
The Summer School aims to share, in an international comparative framework, innovative approaches and tools for the synergistic design of financial instruments, environmental recovery procedures and urban master planning operating in complex market conditions on large-scale obsolete industrial sites that embody controversial legacies.
Participants will focus on the analysis of case studies of urban industrial legacy and urban production transformation. They will be asked to develop a toolkit (in terms of architecture, urban planning, landscape design, management, environmental and economic sustainability) and present it publicly at the end of the summer school.
The Summer School is promoted by Politecnico di Torino and will be held in Torino at Toolbox Coworking from July 10th to July 24th, 2019, full-time work.
The work will be supervised by both Politecnico di Torino, Technion Israel Institute of Technology and Tsinghua University tutors with expertise in architecture, urban and landscape design, environmental engineering and economics, real estate and management.
The Summer School is jointly organized by China Room research group and FULL research centre of Politecnico di Torino and aims at consolidating academic relationships between Politecnico di Torino, Technion Israel Institute of Technology and Tsinghua University based on shared educational and research interests.
CALL FOR ADMISSION
We are looking for highly motivated BA-MA students interested in being part of the interdisciplinary and international Summer School TRANS-forming Industrial Legacy. Spatial and Economic Models of re-USE:
- 8 motivated BA-MA students from Politecnico di Torino
- 6 motivated BA-MA students from Technion Israel Institute of Technology
- 6 motivated BA-MA students from Tsinghua University
- Max 5 motivated BA-MA students from other Institutions
- To be enrolled within the current academic year in a university degree program.
- Good knowledge of the English language.
HOW TO APPLY
To apply, please send an email by June 20th, 2019 to email@example.com with the following attachments:
- Cover letter: short presentation letter (max 2 A4 folders), with motivations for participating to the summer school and more generally to undertake international educational experiences (to be drafted in English); add general information, telephone, e-mail address;
- Portfolio: (in A4 landscape, max 10 pages) including the most significant academic projects and any additional design experience (competitions, workshops, construction work) for architecture students and a brief introduction to the most relevant applied experiences (academic and extra-academic) for students with different disciplinary background;
- Certificate of enrolment at any university degree programs.
The official language of the summer school is English. Following to the active participation in the summer school and the presentation of the final results, 3 ECTS will be credited to students who are regularly enrolled at the Politecnico di Torino (44 hours of frontal lectures and revision, 36 hours of tutoring, 16 hours of extra-educational activities, 8 hours of extra-educational recreational activities: a total amount of 104 hours).
The scientific committee will select participant students among all applicants based on the criteria listed below.
Applicants will be evaluated on the basis of:
- Academic performance;
- Motivations to participate in the summer school;
- Previous international experiences;
- Quality of the portfolio.
- June 20th, 2019: submission deadline
- June 27th, 2019: Colloquium and notification of selected students
- July 10th-24th, 2019: Summer School
Fee for candidates who are not enrolled at Politecnico di Torino, Technion Israel Institute of Technology and Tsinghua University (max. 5 participants): 500 EUR – payment will be done only through bank transfer to Politecnico di Torino (details will be provided after the selection).
Participation will NOT require any registration fee for students regularly enrolled at the Politecnico di Torino, Technion Israel Institute of Technology and Tsinghua University.
SUMMER SCHOOL CALENDAR 2019
- Wednesday, July 10th: introduction to the summer school;
- Thursday, July 11th: seminar, presentation of good practices in the field of industrial legacy transformations;
- Friday, July 12th: seminar, presentation of good practices in the field of industrial legacy transformations;
- Saturday, July 13th: field work (visit to the site), analysis and construction of toolkits – in organizational, architectural, landscape, urban, construction, environmental and economic sustainability terms.
- Sunday, July 14th: seminar and guided tour to Egyptian Museum in Turin;
- Monday, July 15th: design work with tutoring;
- Tuesday, July 16th: design work with tutoring;
- Wednesday, July 17th: intermediate presentation and discussion of the work carried out at the former I.C.O. Workshops in Ivrea;
- Thursday, July 18th: design work with tutoring;
- Friday, July 19th: design work with tutoring;
- Saturday, July 20th: seminar and guided tour, Lingotto and Parco Dora;
- Sunday, July 21th: extra-cultural activities;
- Monday, July 22th: design work with tutoring;
- Tuesday, July 23th: design work with tutoring;
- Wednesday, July 24th: public presentation and discussion of the final results.
Additional information: firstname.lastname@example.org
Scientific committee: Alberto Bologna, Michele Bonino, Francesca Frassoldati, Liu Jian, Matteo Robiglio
Teaching: Alberto Bologna, Luigi Buzzacchi, Uri Cohen, Yaniv Edri, Francesca Frassoldati, Liu Jian, Ruth Liberty-Shalev, Matteo Robiglio, Tiziana Tosco, Song Yehao, Zheng Xiaodi
Coordinators: Giorgia Cestaro, Laura Martini, Caterina Montipò, Maria Paola Repellino
Tutors: Federico Accorsi, Deng Huishu, Giorgia Greco, Ruth Leonov, Marta Mancini, Matteo Migliaccio, Lidia Preti