Renewal of the residence permit

If you are an extra-UE citizen you can renew your residence permit from 30 days before its expiration date . It is strongly recommended to apply for the renewal before the deadline.

Also for the renewal, in order to collect the kit for the application submission and for support in filling out the application form, you can go to box n. 12 at the Department of International Affairs, where cultural mediators will assist you.

The service is free of charge.

You can also receive assistance at any Patronato office application/pdf (24.00 kB)

IMPORTANT: during the month of September mediators are on duty only for students who apply for the first residence permit. Students who need to renew it at Politecnico, have to do it within the end of July or from October onwards.

First it is necessary to collect the following documents (the photocopy must be in A4 format):

1) the original (expiring/expired) residence permit (permesso di soggiorno);

2) 2 double-sided copies of the expiring/expired residence permit;

3) 2 copies of the page of your passport containing your personal data, 1 copy of the page of your visa for Italy and the copies of the passport pages containing stamps/other visas;

4) an "autocertificazione” (self declaration) attesting the enrolment in Politecnico di Torino, stating that you have passed at least one exam for the first residence permit renewal (and at least 2 exams for the following renewals). You can print it from your personal page on “Portale della Didattica”

5) a € 16 duty stamp – you have to buy it at the Tobacconist’s (Tabacchi shop);

6) the photocopy of a document proving that you dispose of sufficient income to cover your living expenses during your stay in Italy. If you have a scholarship, you have to submit a copy of the letter of the Department of International Affairs indicating the details of your grant.

Otherwise you can submit a self-declaration (the fac-simile is available at the Immigration Desk at the International Affairs Department, box 11-12);

7) the photocopy of the Health insurance receipt (it must cover you for the whole period of the residence permit renewal).

Also for the renewal, after filling out the application form with the help of the mediators, the application always has to be handed in at any post office where there is a “Sportello Amico” counter, within maximum 2/3 days.

The postal expenses amount to € 30,00. You will have to pay again the paying slip of € 70,46 for the issuing of the residence permit electronic card (the paying in slip is given by the cultural mediators at box n.11-12);

The Poste Italiane employer will check your passport (remember not to seal the envelope of the kit!) and will gives you a new receipt, with a new USER ID and PASSWORD , that you always have to bring with you, until you receive your electronic residence permit.

You will be given again an appointment for going to the Immigration Office for being fingerprinted.


Usually about 1 or 2 months after the fingerprints appointment it is possible to collect the residence permit at the Immigration Office.

Also for the renewal it is possible to get free assistance for the submission of the residence permit application at patronati offices in Torino. The list of patronati is available at the Immigration Desk at the International Affairs Department.

 How to enter and leave Italy after applying for the renewal of the residence permit

Holders of the postal receipt  for the  residence permit renewal can leave and enter Italy, only provided that:

· they have the passport, the postal receipt of the residence permit renewal and the original of the expiring/expired residence permit;

· the travel does not include transit through Schengen Countries.

Also in this case, for travelling in the Schengen Area and in other countries, you are strongly recommended to verify with the embassy/consulate of the country you are planning to go to, if you need a visa for entering, according to your citizenship and your current domicile.

Before starting a journey and buying a ticket, it is in any case advisable to go to the Immigration Desk at the International Affairs Department.