Call for applications for the 2010/2011 academic year
The Politecnico di Torino offers international students the possibility to receive a scholarship and other benefits to graduate from the Politecnico di Torino attending a Master of Science program in Engineering.
General information on the Master of Science programs
Language in which the courses are held: English or Italian
Length: 2 years
The activities will begin in September 2010.
In order to be admitted into a Master of Science program, applicants must possess a university degree equivalent to a Bachelor of Science degree (diploma di Laurea di I livello).
For further information, please visit the Entry requirements page.
Application is open to students who:
- are Chinese citizens;
- are currently enrolled (in the 2009/2010 academic year) in the third year of the Bachelor program in Mechanical and Production Engineering, or Information Technology Engineering at the Politecnico di Torino or at the Politecnico di Milano;
- are not recipients of any other scholarships, Italian or foreign.
Obtaining a degree at the Politecnico di Torino
To graduate at the Politecnico di Torino, students must attain a total of 120 credits, including exams and the final dissertation. A plan of studies must be outlined under the guidance of the student’s academic tutor to identify, in relation to the student’s previous academic career, the courses additionally required to complete the program of studies for the Master of Science in which the student is enrolled at the Politecnico di Torino. The time required to graduate is approximately two years. However, the effective duration is also dependent upon each student’s capacity.
Please note that scholarship recipients must attend their course for its entire length (2 years – 120 credits).
Applicants will be selected on the basis of their previous academic career and of their Curriculum Vitae.
Amount of the scholarship
- The gross amount of the scholarship is 5.000 Euro per year for the complete period. The exact net sum is dependent upon the individual tax conditions of each student.
- The amount of the scholarship will not be increased in case the student will need more time to graduate than indicated.
- The allocation of the scholarship is dependent upon the submission of the original documentation, which must correspond with the documentation attached to the application form (see the “Selection outcomes” section below).
- Payment of the scholarship occurs periodically. The first instalment is dependent upon the possession of the relevant documentation (Master of Science program enrollment certification, residence permit, Italian fiscal code, and bank account in the name of the scholarship recipient); for this reason, the first instalment is not paid at the moment of the enrollment in the Master of Science program of the Politecnico di Torino, but in the course of the following months.
Requirements to maintain the scholarship
- Given that it is not possible to combine the benefits received from more than one scholarship, students who are assigned another study grant while receiving the PoliCina scholarship must promptly notify the Politecnico di Torino.
- Payment of the scholarship will be suspended if the academic performance of the recipient does not meet a satisfactory level.
How to apply
To apply, students must, under the penalty of being excluded from the selection process, complete the APPLICATION FORM (57,31 kB)
- Deadline: 11:30 a.m. (Italian time) on April 30th, 2010.
Method: fill in the application form, print it out and submit it, together with the requested documents, to the Department of International Affairs of the Politecnico di Torino - International Relations office (Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday from 9,00 to 11,30 a.m.). The application form and the documents must be submitted in a folder bearing the applicant's name and "PoliCina project". After having completed these steps, the application for a scholarship will be considered complete.
The following documentation must be attached to the application form:
- an official transcript (Certificato di iscrizione con esami superati) issued by the registrar of the Politecnico di Torino or Politecnico di Milano, including all the exams which have been passed in the Bachelor of Science career by April 15th, 2010;
- Curriculum Vitae, dated and signed - maximum 3 pages
- A statement of purpose (written by the applicant)
The above documents must be rendered in Italian, or English.
We emphasize that the data shown in the documents must coincide with those inserted in the application form. Moreover, failure to attach even one of the above documents will result in exclusion from the selection process.
Following the closure of the application period, a special commission will meet to assess the applications.
At the end of the selection process, a list of standings will be composed with the names of the students who have been awarded a scholarship and the names of the eligible applicants that may be awarded a scholarship in the event of one or more renunciations.
Publication of the final list of standings is foreseen for May 2010.
PLEASE NOTE THAT THE AFFIXING OF THE LIST OF STANDINGS TO THE OFFICIAL REGISTER OF THE POLITECNICO DI TORINO WILL BE, FOR ALL INTENTS AND PURPOSES, THE ONLY OFFICIAL NOTIFICATION OF INCLUSION IN THE LIST OF SELECTIONS AND, FOR STUDENTS WITH THE APPROPRIATE QUALIFICATIONS, THE ONLY OFFICIAL COMMUNICATION THAT THEY HAVE BEEN AWARDED A SCHOLARSHIP.
We emphasize that the Politecnico di Torino assumes no responsibility for the applicant's failure to view the list of standings and/or the terms for the acceptance of the scholarships as published online and on the Official Register of the Politecnico.
In all the e-mail messages and the correspondence sent to the Politecnico following the awarding of the scholarship, the recipient must clearly specify "PoliCina project".
The amount of tuition fees for the 2010/2011 academic year is about 1750 Euro. Students from low-income families can be entitled to a reduction or a waiver of tuition fees. In order to obtain such benefit, students must provide an official declaration about:
- the composition of their family unit
- the revenue generated abroad in 2009
- the property and real estate assets generated abroad at December 31st, 2009
These declarations, issued by the competent authorities of the foreign country where the family's income is generated, must be translated into Italian and certified by the Italian Embassy or Consulate.
Scholarship recipients, together with the Master of Sciences courses, will benefit from:
- additional services offered to the student community (access to the Politecnico libraries and computer laboratories, WI-FI (Wireless LAN), etc.); scholarship recipients will also be entitled to all the services offered by the regional university student assistance organisation, Ente regionale per il DIritto allo Studio Universitario (EDISU Piemonte) at full fee: student canteen service, cultural and recreational activities, sports activities, libraries with lending service, etc. (for more information visit the Campus Facilities section)
- assistance in the renewal of their residence permit
- assistance by the Stage and Job Placement office for internship and employment.
Enrollment at the Politecnico includes insurance coverage for accidents occurring on the university premises.
INA Assitalia medical insurance for emergencies (First Aid), as required by the law for non-EU citizens, is about 100 EURO per year. For further information on these matters, see the Health insurance section.
Specific contacts for Master of Science
International Relations Office
Incoming Students Office