II call - Master of Science level
Call reserved to students already enrolled at the Politecnico di Torino for the 2010/2011 academic year
The Politecnico di Torino offers international students who are enrolled in the first year of its Master of Science programs in Engineering or Architecture for the 2010/2011 academic year the possibility to receive a scholarship and other benefits.
The initiative is promoted by the Politecnico di Torino and Compagnia di San Paolo.
General information on the Master of Science programs
Language in which the courses are held: English or Italian
Length: 2 years
The activities will begin in October 2010.
Application is open to students who:
- are not Italian citizens, or are Italian citizens who are also in possess of another citizenship;
- are enrolled in the first year, for the first time, in a Master of Science program of the Politecnico di Torino for the 2010/2011 academic year
- were not previously enrolled in an academic program of the Politecnico di Torino before the 2010/2011 academic year;
- are not recipients of any other scholarships, Italian or foreign.
Obtaining a degree at the Politecnico di Torino
To graduate at the Politecnico di Torino, students must attain a total of 120 credits, including exams and the final dissertation. A plan of studies must be outlined under the guidance of the student’s academic tutor to identify, in relation to the student’s previous academic career, the courses additionally required to complete the program of studies for the Master of Science in which the student is enrolled at the Politecnico di Torino. The time required to graduate is approximately two years. However, the effective duration is also dependent upon each student’s capacity.
Please note that scholarship recipients must attend their course for its entire length (2 years – 120 credits). Students who have already attended other university courses can ask for a credit transfer up to a maximum of 10 credits per year (20 credits in total). Please note that credits achieved in preparatory courses or in the first year/second year in systems where preuniversity education lasts 10/11 years can not be taken into account.
Applicants will be selected on the basis of their previous academic career and of their Curriculum Vitae.
Amount of the scholarship
- The gross amount of the scholarship is 6.000 Euro per year for the complete period. The exact net sum is dependent upon the individual tax conditions of each student, which can be verified only upon the arrival of the student.
- The amount of the scholarship will not be increased in case the student will need more time to graduate than indicated.
- The allocation of the scholarship is dependent upon the submission of the original documentation, which must correspond with the documentation attached to the application form (see the “Selection outcomes” section below).
- Payment of the scholarship occurs periodically. The first instalment is dependent upon the possession of the relevant documentation (enrollment certification, residence permit, Italian fiscal code, and bank account in the name of the scholarship recipient), all obtainable upon arrival in Italy.
Requirements to maintain the scholarship
- Given that it is not possible to combine the benefits received from more than one scholarship, students who are assigned another study grant while receiving the Politecnico di Torino scholarship must promptly notify the Politecnico di Torino.
- Payment of the scholarship will be suspended if the academic performance of the recipient does not meet a satisfactory level.
How to apply
To apply, students must, under the penalty of being excluded from the selection process, complete the application form (79,92 kB):
- Deadline: 11:30 a.m. (Italian time) on October 8th, 2010.
Method: fill in the application form, print it out and submit it, together with the requested documents, to the Department of International Affairs of the Politecnico di Torino (Monday - Friday 9:00 - 12:30, 14:00 - 16:30). The application form and the documents must be submitted in a folder bearing the applicant's name and "Compagnia di San Paolo - Politecnico project". After having completed these steps, the application for a scholarship will be considered complete.
The following documentation must be attached to the application form:
- Certificate of enrollment at the Politecnico di Torino
- an official transcript, issued by the university of origin, including the total number of exams sustained in the program of study, the total number of credits obtained in the program of study (if available), the year of enrolment, the list of the exams already taken with the score of each exam and, where applicable, the number of credits earned with each exam. If the transcript provided by the students' registrar does not contain ALL of the above information, an additional document will have to be sent that provides it. This additional document must be signed by an authority of the university of origin (Tutor of the degree course, Dean, etc).
- Curriculum Vitae, dated and signed (in Italian or English) - maximum 3 pages
- A personal introduction letter (written by the applicant)
- Optional English or Italian language certificate
- Optional letters of reference (2 maximum)
The above documents must be rendered in English (preferably), French, Spanish, or Portuguese.
We emphasize that the data shown in the documents must coincide with those indicated in the application form. Moreover, failure to attach even one of the above documents will result in exclusion from the selection process.
Following the closure of the application form, a special commission will meet to assess the applications.
At the end of the selection process, a list of standings will be composed with the names of the students who have been awarded a scholarship.
PLEASE NOTE THAT THE AFFIXING OF THE LIST OF STANDINGS TO THE OFFICIAL REGISTER OF THE POLITECNICO DI TORINO WILL BE, FOR ALL INTENTS AND PURPOSES, THE ONLY OFFICIAL NOTIFICATION OF INCLUSION IN THE LIST OF SELECTIONS AND, FOR STUDENTS WITH THE APPROPRIATE QUALIFICATIONS, THE ONLY OFFICIAL COMMUNICATION THAT THEY HAVE BEEN AWARDED A SCHOLARSHIP.
An e-mail message will be sent to all scholarship recipients and eligible applicants summarising the terms for the disbursement of the scholarship. This message will be sent to the address(es) specified by the students themselves on the application form. NEVERTHELESS, THIS MESSAGE DOES NOT CONSTITUTE AN OFFICIAL COMMUNICATION OF THE OUTCOME OF THE SELECTION.
Publication of the final list of standings is foreseen for late October 2010.
We emphasize that the Politecnico di Torino assumes no responsibility for the applicant's failure to view the list of standings and/or the terms for the acceptance of the scholarships as published online and on the Official Register of the Politecnico.
In all the e-mail messages and the correspondence sent to the Politecnico following the awarding of the scholarship, the recipient must clearly specify "Compagnia di San Paolo - Politecnico project".
The amount of tuition fees for the 2010/2011 academic year is 1780 Euro. Students from low-income families can be entitled to a reduction or a waiver of tuition fees. In order to obtain such benefit, students must provide an official declaration about:
- the composition of their family unit
- the revenue generated abroad in 2009
- the property and real estate assets generated abroad at December 31st, 2009
These declarations, issued by the competent authorities of the foreign country where the family's income is generated, must be translated into Italian and certified by the Italian Embassy or Consulate. Please see also: Information for students coming from particularly poor countries.
Scholarship recipients, together with the Master of Sciences courses, will benefit from:
- an intensive Italian language course, free of charge
- additional services offered to the student community (access to the Politecnico libraries and computer laboratories, WI-FI (Wireless LAN), etc.); scholarship recipients will also be entitled to all the services offered by the regional university student assistance organisation, Ente regionale per il DIritto allo Studio Universitario (EDISU Piemonte) at full fee: student canteen service, cultural and recreational activities, sports activities, libraries with lending service, etc. (for more information visit the Campus Facilities section)
- assistance by the Stage and Job Placement office for internship and employment.
Specific contacts for Master of Science
International Relations Office