Entrepreneurial Finance Summer School
Politecnico di Torino, Italy
September 23rd-27th, 2019
With special attendance to the EU-SPRI Early Career Researcher Conference (ECC) Torino, Italy
The creation of functioning markets of entrepreneurial finance has become a priority for the European Union (EU), as is documented by the measures included in the Horizon 2020 and COSME programs, and for many governments across Europe. The entrepreneurial finance landscape has changed consistently over the last years and many new players, with a variety of investment goals and investment approaches, have entered the arena. Besides venture capitalists (VCs) and business angels (BAs), the development of on-line platforms has created new opportunities for entrepreneurs to raise seed capital and for non-professional investors to disintermediate their investments. Other new players in the arena have emerged, such as incubators and accelerators, or university-managed/based funds (such as proof of concepts (PoC) programs).
The aim of the Entrepreneurial Finance summer school is to spread the knowledge on entrepreneurial finance and promote cutting-edge international research on the topic, attracting PhD and Master students across Europe and outside Europe from different economic fields (economics, finance, management of innovation, entrepreneurship, management, management engineering). It will provide students with insights into the complexities of attracting financing for start-ups, with a specific focus on innovative ventures. PhD students will also receive important feedbacks on their current papers/research proposals by senior scholars and will get advice on how to structure their research in order to publish in leading academic journals.
The summer school, completely held in English, will combine:
- frontal lectures by internationally renowned scholars;
- presentations of working papers or research proposals by PhD and Master students to be discussed with senior scholars;
- a set of extra-educational activities;
- round tables and insights sessions with practitioners (e.g. business angels, venture capitalists, crowdfunders, incubators, entrepreneurs, policy makers)
Lectures will be offered on the following topics:
- The spectrum of financing choices for entrepreneurial ventures;
- Financing innovation: actors, instruments, trends;
- Crowdfunding and equity crowdfunding;
- Business angels: individuals, groups and networks;
- Venture capital types: governmental, independent, corporate and bank affiliated;
- How venture capitalists work: deals, exits, impacts on firms’ performances;
- The promise and danger of Initial Coin Offerings;
- Social impact finance;
- Incubators and Accelerators;
- Methodological issues in entrepreneurial finance;
Paper development sessions
PhD and Master students enrolled in the summer school are required to participate to the EU-SPRI Early Career Researcher Conference that will take place at Politecnico di Torino on September 24th-25th (https://www.eko.polimi.it/index.php/euspri2019/EUSPRI2019). During the conference, students will have the possibility to present their current papers/research proposals and get advice from senior scholars on how to structure their research. A meeting with an Editor of a relevant scientific journal will be organized to teach Ph.D students how to publish in leading academic journals.
The summer school will be co-sponsored by the EIC (Entrepreneurship and Innovation Center) at Politecnico di Torino and is jointly organized with Politecnico di Milano.
Local Organizing Committee
- Elisa Ughetto (Politecnico di Torino) - Coordinator
- Emilio Paolucci (Politecnico di Torino)
- Daniele Battaglia (Politecnico di Torino)
- Francesco Fontana (Politecnico di Torino)
In partnership with Politecnico di Milano
- Annalisa Croce (Politecnico di Milano School of Management)- Principal contact
- Massimo G. Colombo (Politecnico di Milano School of Management)
- Vincenzo Butticè (Politecnico di Milano School of Management)
- Carlotta Orsenigo (Politecnico di Milano School of Management)
- Francesca Tenca (Politecnico di Milano School of Management)
Keynote Speaker: Rosemarie Ziedonis (Questrom School of Business, Boston University)
Rosemarie Ziedonis is an Associate Professor of Strategy and Innovation at Questrom. She has a Ph.D. in Business and Public Policy from UC Berkeley’s Haas School of Business and an undergraduate degree in economics from the University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill. Prior to joining Questrom, she served on the faculty at the University of Oregon, the Wharton School, and the University of Michigan’s Ross School of Business, where she co-directed the Program for Law, Economics, and Technology. Her research examines the value and strategic use of intellectual property, and broader aspects of innovation policy and management. Findings from her studies have been published in a wide range of journals including the Journal of Financial Economics, Organization Science, Management Science, the Rand Journal of Economics, Research Policy, Science and the Strategic Management Journal. She is an Associate Editor at Management Science, and a Research Associate at the National Bureau of Economic Research.
The summer school is targeted to PhD and Master students.
Submissions and selection
Participants to the summer school are invited to submit their CVs to firstname.lastname@example.org. The CV should indicate the PhD dissertation topic for PhD students and the main research interests for Master students. Participants will be selected basing upon the quality of their CV and the coherence with the summer school theme. Selected participants will be informed via email of the payment mode for the summer school.
Deadline for application (CV submission)
June 16th, 2019
Notification of acceptance
July 5th, 2019
Early bird payment
August 25th, 2019
Late bird payment
September 10th, 2019
Summer School venue
Politecnico di Torino, Energy Center
Via Paolo Borsellino 38/16 - 10138 Torino (Italy).
Summer School fee
The summer school fee includes attendance to the EU-SPRI ECC conference, summer school material, welcome cocktail, coffee breaks, lunches, conference dinner, didactic visits and extra-didactic activities.
EU-SPRI members: the summer school EARLY BIRD fee is 300 € (LATE BIRD: 380€). Please note that attendance to the EU-SPRI ECC conference is free of charge
Non EU-SPRI members: the summer school EARLY BIRD fee is 300€ (LATE BIRD: 380€). In addition, non EU-SPRI members need to contribute for the EUSPRI ECC conference a fee of 205€.
For all details on the summer school please follow the link below:
For information regarding summer school registration and payment and any other questions, please contact the summer school organizers: email@example.com