Second level specializing Master
- E-business and ICT for Management
- Navigation and Related Applications
- Optical Communications and Photonic Technologies
- Wireless Systems and Related Technologies
Call for Applications for the 2007/2008 Academic Year
The Zhong Guo project offers Chinese students the possibility to receive a scholarship and other benefits to graduate from the Politecnico di Torino attending a second level Specializing Master course in Engineering.
For the 2007/2008 Academic Year, applications for the following second level Specializing Master courses will be accepted:
- Wireless Systems and Related Technologies
- Optical communications and Photonic Technologies
- E-business and ICT for Management
- Navigation and Related applications
General information on second level Specializing Master degrees
Language in which the courses are held: English
Length: 1 year
The activities will begin in September 2007.
In order to be admitted into the second level Specializing Master program, applicants must possess a 5-year (10 semesters) university degree. Applications from students who possess a 4-year (8 semesters) university degree may be possibly evaluated by the selection commission.
Application is open to students who:
- are citizens of People’s Republic of China and/or come from Chinese universities
- are not already enrolled in a a University course or PhD in any Italian University
- are not recipients of other scholarships, Italian or foreign.
Obtaining a degree at the Politecnico di Torino
In the website of each individual Master course are indicated the credits necessary to obtain the degree (see the “Course syllabus” section).
Applicants will be accepted based on their previous academic career and on their Curriculum Vitae.
Amount of the scholarship
- The gross amount of the Zhong Guo scholarship for the second level Specializing Master course is 22.000 Euro for the complete period, from which must be subtracted the tuition fees for the course (8.000 Euro, see below). The exact net sum is dependent upon the individual tax conditions of each student, which can be verified only upon the arrival of the student.
- Tuition fees: the amount of tuition fees for second level Specializing Master course is 8.000 Euro, which has to be paid by students in a number of instalments
- Payment of the scholarship occurs periodically. The first instalment is dependent upon the possession of the relevant documentation (residence permit, Italian fiscal code, and bank account in the name of the scholarship recipient), all obtainable upon arrival in Italy; for this reason, the first instalment is not paid at the moment of arrival at the Politecnico di Torino, but at the end of the following month.
Requirements to maintain the scholarship
- Given that it is not possible to combine the benefits received from more than one scholarship, students who are assigned another study grant while receiving the Zhong Guo scholarship must promptly notify the Politecnico di Torino.
- Payment of the scholarship will be suspended if the academic performance of the recipient does not meet a satisfactory level.
How to apply
To apply, students must, under the penalty of being excluded from the selection process:
COMPLETE THE ONLINE APPLICATION FORM
- Deadline: 2 p.m. (Italian time) on May 31st 2007.
- Method: fill in the online application form by first registering and providing your biographical information, logging in and choosing your degree course and level, and subsequently submitting the application.
You will be asked to attach the following documentation, preferably in pdf format:
- an official transcript (original or authenticated copy) issued by the registrar of your university of origin which certifies the attainment of the degree and containing ALL of the following information: list of exams sustained in the program of study with the score of each exam, the planned duration of the program of study (no. of semesters), the final score and, where applicable, the number of credits earned with each exam.
- Curriculum Vitae
- The request to admission to the Master programs
- an English language certificate (if you do not have any English language certificate, you are required to insert, in the “other documents” section, a written declaration testifying your level of knowledge of the English language. In this case the Politecnico di Torino reserves the right to contact the candidate for a telephone interview)
- Optional letters of reference (2 maximum)
- Optional personal introduction letter (written by the applicant)
The documents must be rendered in English.
N.B. The scholarship or project for which the applicant is eligible is not specified in the application form, since the Politecnico will automatically assess your eligibility for the Zhong Guo project based on the information you provide. At the end of the selection process (foreseen for the month of June), the Politecnico di Torino will inform you if you have been selected for a Zhong Guo scholarship (see the “Selection outcomes” section below).
We emphasise that the data shown in the documents must coincide with those inserted in the online application form.
Following the closure of the online application form, a special commission will meet to assess the applications.
At the end of the selection process, a provisional list of standings will be composed with the names of the students who have been awarded a scholarship and the names of the eligible applicants that may be awarded a scholarship in the event of one or more renunciations.
The list of standings will be affixed to the Official Register of the Politecnico di Torino. On June 1st 2007, information about where and how to access the selection outcomes will be published on the Zhong Guo website and on the application section of the Politecnico website.
The expected date for the publication of the provisional list of standings is June 5th 2007.
PLEASE NOTE THAT THE AFFIXING OF THE LIST OF STANDINGS TO THE OFFICIAL REGISTER OF THE POLITECNICO DI TORINO WILL BE, FOR ALL INTENTS AND PURPOSES, THE ONLY OFFICIAL NOTIFICATION OF INCLUSION IN THE LIST OF SELECTIONS AND, FOR STUDENTS WITH THE APPROPRIATE QUALIFICATIONS, THE ONLY OFFICIAL COMMUNICATION THAT THEY HAVE BEEN AWARDED A SCHOLARSHIP.
An e-mail message will be sent to all scholarship recipients and eligible applicants summarising the terms for the disbursement of the scholarship. This message will be sent to the address(es) specified by the students themselves on the online application form. NEVERTHELESS, THIS MESSAGE DOES NOT CONSTITUTE AN OFFICIAL COMMUNICATION OF THE OUTCOME OF THE SELECTION.
The scholarship awardees and eligible applicants who wish to confirm their position must take the following steps:
- download the Master acceptance declaration which will be published together with the list of selection outcomes, fill it in and fax it to the number +39 011 090 5730 by June 11th 2007 together with a copy of the receipt of the dispatch by express courier of the original documentation. Failure to send in the acceptance fax within the given period will constitute a definitive renunciation and the scholarship will be reassigned accordingly.
send to the Politecnico di Torino the original of the documentation attached to the online application form (see the above list). The Politecnico di Torino must receive this documentation by June 22nd 2007.
The documents must be sent to the following address:
Politecnico di Torino
Master in ……(name of the Master)
Progetto ……(name of the project)
Corso Duca degli Abruzzi, 24
Failure to send in the fax within the given period will constitute a definitive renunciation and the scholarship will be reassigned accordingly.
Publication of the final list of standings is foreseen for June 27th 2007.
We emphasize that the Politecnico di Torino assumes no responsibility for the applicant's failure to view the list of standings and/or the terms for the acceptance of the scholarships as published online and on the Official Register of the Politecnico.
In all the e-mail messages and the correspondence sent to the Politecnico following the awarding of the scholarship, the recipient must clearly specify "Zhong Guo project" and the Master course for which he/she has been selected.
Zhong Guo scholarship recipients, together with the second level Specializing Master course, will benefit from:
- an intensive Italian language course, compulsory and free of charge
- advice on lodging facilities (for more information visit the Accommodation section)
- additional services offered to the student community (access to the Politecnico libraries and computer laboratories, WI-FI (wireless LAN), etc.); scholarship recipients will also be entitled to all the services offered by the regional university student assistance organisation, Ente regionale per il DIritto allo Studio Universitario ( EDISU Piemonte) at full fee: student canteen service, cultural and recreational activities, sports activities, libraries with lending service, etc. (for more information visit the Campus Facilities section)
- assistance in obtaining an entry visa. For more information consult the Immigration Requirements section and the websites of the .
- The Zhong Guo scholarship does not include accommodation costs, which are thus totally at the expense of the student
- The Politecnico di Torino does not guarantee any type of accommodation for Zhong Guo students. For students turning to the private market to rent an apartment, the initial amount requested for the cautionary deposit is equal to about three months rent, plus any fees charged by the real estate agency, if applicable. The approximate amount of the rent for an apartment shared with other students comes to about 250 EURO/month per person, and the rent for a small/medium sized apartment is about 500 EURO/month.
Enrolment at the Politecnico includes insurance coverage for accidents occurring on the university premises.
Medical insurance for emergencies (First Aid), as required by the law for non-EU citizens, is 98 EURO per year. Upon their arrival in Italy, students must pay this amount to INA Assitalia: this is required for the conversion of the entry visa into a residence permit. For further information on these matters, see the Health insurance section.
- We advise students to go to the Italian Embassy or Consulate to inform themselves on the necessary requirements to obtain an entry visa in Italy.
Specific contacts for second level Specializing Master
+39 011 090 7913
+39 011 090 6108
+39 011 090 5713
+39 011 090 5717
+39 011 090 5730