Call for applications for the 2013/2014 academic year
I level Specializing Master
The project offers international students the possibility to receive a scholarship and other benefits to graduate from the Politecnico di Torino attending Engineering programs at the Alessandria campus.
For the 2013/2014 academic year, the project, thanks to the support of Fondazione Cassa di Risparmio di Tortona, will award scholarships to students attending the I level Specializing Master program in Jewellery Engineering at the Alessandria Campus.
General information on the I level Specializing Master in Jewellery Engineering
Language in which the courses are held: English
Length: 1 year, 62 ECTS credits.
The activities will begin in January 2014
For more information on the university campus, please visit the Alessandria campus website.
- Being not a citizen of an European Union member country, or being an Italian citizen who also holds a citizenship of a non-EU member country
- Not having enrolled in a I level Specializing Master or Master of Science program of the Politecnico di Torino before the 2013/2014 academic year
- Knowledge of the English language, preferably demonstrated by an international certification
- Not being the recipient of other scholarships, Italian or foreign.
In order to be admitted into a 1st level Specializing Master program, applicants must possess a university degree equivalent to a Bachelor of Science degree, which is approximately equivalent to three or four years after secondary school, depending on the number of secondary school years.
For further information, please visit the Entry requirements page.
Obtaining a degree at the Politecnico di Torino
To graduate at the Politecnico di Torino, students must attain a total of 62 credits, including exams and the final dissertation. The time required to graduate is approximately one year (from January to November 2014). However, the effective duration is also dependent upon each student’s capacity.
Please note that scholarship recipients must attend their course for its entire length (1 year – 62 credits).
Applicants will be selected based on their previous academic career and on their Curriculum Vitae.
Amount of the scholarship
- The gross amount of the Alessandria Campus scholarship is 3.686 Euro for the complete period. The exact net sum is dependent upon the individual tax conditions of each student.
- The amount of the scholarship will not be increased in case the student will need more time to graduate than indicated.
- The allocation of the scholarship is dependent upon the submission, within 10 days from the arrival in Italy of the student, of the original documentation, which must correspond with the documentation attached to the online form (see the “Selection outcomes” section below).
- The payment of the scholarship is dependent upon the possession of the relevant documentation (enrollment certification, residence permit, Italian fiscal code, and bank account in the name of the scholarship recipient), all obtainable upon arrival in Italy; for this reason, the scholarship is not paid at the moment of arrival at the Politecnico di Torino, but in the course of the following months.
Requirements to maintain the scholarship
- Given that it is not possible to combine the benefits received from more than one scholarship, students who are assigned another study grant while receiving the Alessandria Campus scholarship must promptly notify the Politecnico di Torino.
- Payment of the scholarship will be suspended if the academic performance of the recipient does not meet a satisfactory level.
How to apply
To apply, students must, under the penalty of being excluded from the selection process, complete the online application form:
- Deadline: 8 p.m. (Italian time) on October 29th, 2013.
Method: fill in the online application form, by first registering and providing your biographical information, logging in and choosing your level and degree course, and subsequently submitting the application. Students must also provide information on their previous educational career, language abilities and work experience, and they must attach the necessary documentation in pdf format. After having completed these steps, the application for a scholarship will be considered complete.
N.B. The scholarship or project for which the applicant is eligible is not specified in the application form, since the Politecnico will automatically assess your eligibility for the Alessandria Campus scholarship based on the information you provide. At the end of the selection process, the Politecnico di Torino will inform you if you have been selected for an Alessandria Campus scholarship (see the “Selection outcomes” section below).
The following documentation must be attached to the application form:
an official transcript (original or authenticated copy) issued by the registrar of your university of origin containing ALL of the following information:
- Planned duration of the program of study (no. of semesters)
- Total number of exams sustained in the program of study
- Total number of credits obtained in the program of study (if available)
- Year of enrolment
- A list of the exams already taken with the score of each exam and, where applicable, the number of credits earned with each exam.
- The overall average score of the exams taken (at the moment of application)
- A list of the exams still to be passed to complete the degree course
- The grading system used with explanations (e.g. quantitative system from 0 to 10, with 5 corresponding to satisfactory; or qualitative system ABCD, with A as top grade and C corresponding to passing)
- The semester of enrolment at the moment of the presentation of the application (e.g. "on xxx [day] the student is enrolled in the second semester of the fourth year of the degree course in xxx")
If the transcript provided by the students' registrar does not contain ALL of the above information, an additional document will have to be sent that provides it. This additional document must be signed by an authority of the university of origin (Tutor of the degree course, Dean, etc).
- Curriculum Vitae, dated and signed (in Italian or English, if possible) - maximum 3 pages
- A personal introduction letter (written by the applicant)
- Optional English and/or Italian language certificate
The above documents must be rendered in English, Italian, French, Spanish, or Portuguese, except where otherwise indicated.
We emphasize that the data shown in the documents must coincide with those inserted in the application form. Moreover, failure to attach even one of the above documents will result in exclusion from the selection process.
Following the closure of the online application form, a special commission will meet to assess the applications.
At the end of the selection process, a list of standings will be composed with the names of the students who have been awarded a scholarship and the names of the eligible applicants that may be awarded a scholarship in the event of one or more renunciations.
The list of standings will be affixed to the Official Register of the Politecnico di Torino and published on this project website and on the Apply@Polito section of the Politecnico website.
An e-mail message will be sent to all scholarship recipients and eligible applicants summarizing the terms for the disbursement of the scholarship. This message will be sent to the address(es) specified by the students themselves on the online application form. NEVERTHELESS, THIS MESSAGE DOES NOT CONSTITUTE AN OFFICIAL COMMUNICATION OF THE OUTCOME OF THE SELECTION.
The scholarship awardees and eligible applicants who wish to confirm their position must take the following steps:
- download the scholarship acceptance form which will be published together with the list of selection outcomes, fill it in, scan it, and send it by e-mail to email@example.com. Failure to send in the acceptance form within the given period will constitute a definitive renunciation and the scholarship will be reassigned accordingly.
- upon arrival in Italy scholarship recipients must hand in the original documentation, which was previously attached to the online application form (see the above list), to the Politecnico di Torino. Before handing in the aforementioned documentation, we recommend that you make photocopies for yourself. We ask that you not hand in any other documentation other than that which has been required, and put all the documentation in a single folder bearing your name, surname and "Alessandria Campus project". We reemphasize that the information given in the documents must correspond to that attached to the online application form. Failure to hand in the original documentation within 10 days from the student’s arrival according to the above conditions will result in the non-allocation of the scholarship.
Publication of the final list of standings is foreseen for November 2013.
We emphasize that the Politecnico di Torino assumes no responsibility for the applicant's failure to view the list of standings and/or the terms for the acceptance of the scholarships as published online and on the Official Register of the Politecnico.
In all the e-mail messages and the correspondence sent to the Politecnico following the awarding of the scholarship, the recipient must clearly specify "Alessandria Campus project".
The amount of tuition fees for the 2013/2014 academic year is about 3.500 Euro.
Scholarship recipients, together with the 1st level Specializing Master courses, will benefit from:
- advice on lodging facilities (for more information visit the Accommodation section)
- additional services offered to the student community (access to the Politecnico libraries and computer laboratories, WI-FI (wireless LAN), etc.); scholarship recipients will also be entitled to all the services offered by the regional university student assistance organisation, Ente regionale per il DIritto allo Studio Universitario (EDISU Piemonte) at full fee: student canteen service, cultural and recreational activities, sports activities, libraries with lending service, etc. (for more information visit the Campus Facilities section)
- assistance in obtaining an entry visa. For more information consult the Immigration Requirements section and the websites of the Italian Embassy or Consulate
- assistance by the Stage and Job Placement Office for internship and employment.
- The scholarship does not include accommodation costs, which are thus totally at the expense of the student.
- The Politecnico di Torino does not guarantee any type of accommodation for Alessandria Campus scholarship recipients. For students turning to the private market to rent an apartment, the initial amount requested for the cautionary deposit is equal to about three months rent, plus any fees charged by the real estate agency, if applicable. The approximate amount of the rent for an apartment shared with other students comes to about 250 EURO/month per person, and the rent for a small/medium sized apartment is about 400 EURO/month.
Enrolment at the Politecnico includes insurance coverage for accidents occurring on the university premises.
Medical insurance for emergencies (First Aid), as required by the law for non-EU citizens, is about 100 EURO per year. Upon their arrival in Italy, students must pay this amount to INA Assitalia: this is required for the conversion of the entry visa into a residence permit. For further information on these matters, see the Health insurance section.
- We advise students to refer to the Italian Embassy or Consulate to inform themselves on the necessary requirements to obtain an entry visa in Italy.
About the scholarship
International Relations Office
About the Alessandria Campus
Dott.ssa Chiara Ricci