The Politecnico di Torino was built around the mid ninteenth century. The Regio Politecnico di Torino rised in 1906 from the union of the Scuola di Applicazione per gli Ingegneri (built in 1859) and of the Museo Industriale Italiano (built in 1862). It aimed (and aims) to form engineers and architects and to promote study and activities for industrial and business progress of the Country.
Following the model of the most important European Schools of Engineering, during the first years of the twentieth century the Regio Politecnico di Torino interlaced relationships both with the European scientific world and with local and national industries. In the same period aeronautics was born and within the new laboratories, from chemistry to architecture, young students coming to Torino from every part of Italy, found an animated and creative atmosphere, where the future was within reach.
A site for both teaching and research, this campus nowadays hosts the First and Second Schools of Architecture.
The present Valentino palace of the Savoy dynasty derives from various projectural phases which began in the mid-1500s. After a complex series of changes of owners, it was given by Duke Carlo Emanuele I to his daughter-in-law, young Cristina di Francia - who, in 1621, commissioned radical structural changes to the riverside residence, in conformity with the French pavillon-système (a project by Carlo di Castellamonte, from 1621 to1641). This resulted in the definition of the towers on the river side, the wings, the roofs in French style.
The anterior towers and the original connecting wings are work of Amadeo di Castellamonte (from 1641). The completion of the project is testified to in the two incisions of the Theatrum Sabaudiae in 1682. In the 1700s, the palace had already lost its significance as a noble "country" residence. Reconstruction and amplification of the connecting wings was undertaken in order to host the Industrial Exposition of 1858; then in 1859 the building was ceded to the Regia Scuola di Applicazione per gli Ingegneri and is now property of the Politecnico.